Thursday, May 10, 2012

I am extremely well overdue for a post but sometimes the days just fly by. Some-days are just a whirl-wind of activity and when I do get a chance to just sit and breath... I fall asleep.

In mid April I finally got the opportunity to hold my book in my hands and I can not even begin to explain how it felt. I was excited when my book became available on more and more places on-line. (Though I am still waiting for it to be available for Nook.) Every new little milestone was exciting.

Then the Wednesday came that I knew my book would show up at my door. I looked at the window every five minutes for the "Brown" truck that was going to drop them off. When the man in Brown shorts finally showed up I was on the porch and waiting before he could even put his truck in park. My sons were excitedly jumping up and down yelling at the man to "hurry." Once I got the box in the house I just stared at it for a few minutes.

My hands were shaking when I opened the box and pulled one out. My dream had come true; my novel was finally in my hands. It was truly the most exciting thing ever, well, with the exception on the birth of my children of course.

From a young age there was a lot of different things I wanted to be, none of them was to be a writer. After the birth of my second son I was sure that I wanted to be a nail tech. After a quick jaunt in the industry I realized that loved the work, but not much else about it. One day after a random thought from my husband that I should just, "write a book," I thought about it and said why not. I am a stay-at-home Mommy, I have time. -Insert big laugh here- You don't realize how time consuming being a full time Mommy is until you try to throw in a work from home job into it.

I sat on the book for years, picking it up from time to time changing this or that about it, but still I had no interest in being a published author. I gave the advise to a friend who writes that she should "just do it," and still never thought about "just doing it myself." Until another friend said it to me. In a matter of days being a writer became my dream, it was what I wanted to do with my life.

The months leading up to the release of Tempting Fate were a whirl wind. Researching self-publishing, making 500 different versions of the cover, constantly learning new things (and I am still learning now). Not to mention all the little things that needed to be done, as well as managing the day to day life of being a wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend.

My dream came true, it was one that I didn't have until later in life but I reached for the stars and did every things I could to make it come true. So I guess what I am saying is that if you have one of your own, no matter how old it is or new, do it! I promise that when you do you will be filled with more joy that randomly winning that lottery.


No comments:

Post a Comment